Birthdays are always a time to reflect, but even more so when yours falls in December like mine does. Reflecting on the past year, reflecting on past birthdays, but most of all, reflecting on how much one has grown.
I’m not even close to being perfect but I do try my hardest to be good, kind and spread positivity wherever I go. I’m overly enthusiastic and love with my whole heart. I enjoy the small, silly things in life. I think if you can do that, you will always be happy.
So here are just 27 of the things I have learnt in my 27 years of life. (What an old fart haha).
- You are not better than anyone else. Nobody is perfect, everybody is different and has their own life to lead. If we were all the same the world would be a very boring place.
- Never take your body and its capabilities for granted. You never know when you might lose it.
- Broken trust is almost impossible to repair.
- Better to be overdressed than underdressed.
- Surround yourself with positive, kind, driven people. The five closest people to you are a huge influence on every aspect of your life.
- You need to learn to love yourself before you can expect anyone else to.
- Trust your instincts – they’re usually right!
- Travel. With any money and by any means. It will enrich your life more than anything else you can buy. I’m at 26 countries and counting!
- Appreciate the little things. We all have things to be thankful for so focus on those when you’re feeling low.
- Go on your own! Can’t find a friend to try that new activity with or go to that party? Go by yourself! You’d be surprised how much fun you can have and all the new amazing people you can meet! I’ve done so many activities and travelled several countries on my own. It’s where I’ve found some of my best friends!
- Your biggest hurdle to getting what you want, is yourself.
- Don’t worry about what someone thinks of you. It is more of a reflection of themselves, than you.
- Just because it seems like a fairytale, doesn’t mean it’s right.
- Be good to your body. Treat it with care, feed it nourishing foods, get adequate rest and move it or lose it!
- Try to learn something new everyday. Whether that be something about yourself or a new skill etc. We should be constantly growing!
- Be you, unapologetically. You are who you are. Don’t let anyone ever make you feel less than them, or less deserving. There’s nothing wrong with how you look or your personality. We are all equal and if the world was a fair place (which it’s not – bonus lesson) we would be judged on what kind of person we are rather than who we know, what we make or where we live. So whoever is making you feel this way is either jealous, or just not a good person. Either way, you don’t need or want them in your life. Say bbbyyyeeeeee!
- Love with your whole being. It’s more likely that you will regret not being all in (and wonder ‘what if?’). So love with everything you have. And if it doesn’t work, than it’s not meant to be.
- You’re never going to please everyone and you shouldn’t want to.
- Turn that frown upside down! I get in a grump like everyone else but I don’t hold on to anything for very long. (What’s the point really?) So smile and watch how infectious it becomes!
- If there is an aspect of your life you don’t like, change it! Whether that be a relationship, friendship, your job or even a hobby. There’s no point being unhappy!
- Sleep well, wake early. I am naturally a night owl but I am much more productive overall if I get a good nights sleep and get up early.
- Worry less. Are you stressing over something that is a shark or just seaweed? Don’t let the little things get to you.
- Prioritize your time – I rarely watch tv and it means I can achieve so much more.
- Quality over quantity – in work, friendships, every aspect of life.
- You cannot control how someone feels about you, thinks about you or how they treated you, but you can control how you feel, think and how you allow yourself to be treated now on.
- Write lists! I always have a couple lists on my phone of urgent things to see to and things I wish to do. It keeps me on track.
- Always be the best version of yourself. Don’t hold back your sparkle just because you want to fit in.